Sunday 5 September 2010

Alpine holday with Scott

Scott and I flew out from Edinburgh on friday evening 20th August heading for Munich and then down towards the Austrian border. Arriving late we had booked into a hotel near the station in Munich hoping to get down to the famous beer hall in the old town but were a bit to late so had to seetle for a walk round and then back to the hotel. We caught the morning train to Mittenwald where we had an apartment booked for the next three nights , so a Subway brekky at the station before getting the train.When we arrived at Mittenwald we were hoping to leave the cases at the station before heading off to Leutasch district in Austria where Scott had entered the Half marathon trail run??. Finding the left lugage lockers broken we gambled on going to our accommodation early and leave the cases there. The lady owner was cleaning the place when we got there and could not of been more helpful so leaving the cases we caught the bus over to Leutasch district over the border.
 Scott had plenty of time to get set up for his "holiday" fun run while I found the Austrain beer going down rather too well. Scott had a good run considering we were both tired from travel etc and came in a very criditable 5th place , I think I would be on my 5th beer by then as there was a beer garden next to the finish. The day ended with two tired but happy people crawling into the beds for the night.

Have inserted a couple of Photo's to show the weather we were having and the great walking area we were staying in needless to say Scott was not walking these hills he was having "Fun" running them.
We had three great days in Mittenwald in glorious weather and I even managed a couple of great walks the second one with Scott up to the highest ridge in town it took me all day but was very chuffed I made it thanks to lots of weight loss in the past few weeks and Scott's mentoring.


On the left is a sunset photograph of
 the ridge we walked to the top of from town and on the right is the man who helped me get up there.





After that good few days we headed off on the Austrain railjet train accross to Switzeland and a very little villiage called Burgen. Again we had fantastic weather and I was off walking again and Scott was doing some amazing running routes over the alps.



Above is a photograph of avery nice easy ridge walk I did with views on each side. I did say easy but did mean under foot I was still puffing like an old steam engine ! The problem i had is when I got over the last top I had a struggle to find may way down and the "nice" path had vanished into the next Photograph where i was following the red and white markers.
I struggled over the above but the character who did it the next day and took this photo for me RAN over it so i was going to make some comment about horses for courses etc. The day Scott ran this way (the day after my walk as he was away on another epic alp run ) I did a low level walk and we met up at a wee village with the one "pub"for a very welcome cold beer.
I had to head home the next day and went on the "palm express" bus to Lugano before getting on a train for Milan for a night stop over and that day was the first one with heavy rain for the first few hours. I did not see much on the way down from the alps to the lakes but did spare a thought for scott who I left at St Moritz to go alp running. I later found out he had to abort for lightening etc as on the hills is not the place to be at that time.
As a holiday it must be classed as one of my better ones and would like to get back out that way again but may have to sell the house to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment